In 1987 I moved to Germany for my junior year of college. I took with me the luggage I could carry, travelers checks and a Sony walkman cassette player and a handful of cassettes. I kept in touch with family and friends by writing letters and with occasional phone calls. I paid for things in deutsche Marks.
Fast forward 23 years. Earlier this month I moved to England with my husband and two kids. Most everything we own will arrive in a few weeks. We brought a laptop and a library of music on an iPod that fits in the palm of your hand. I don't think anyone carries travelers checks anymore. We pay for things in pounds, since the Brits held out on joining Europe's common currency. Happily, the exchange rate is pretty good.
To keep in touch with family and friends, we still have letters and phone calls. We also have email, Facebook, Skype and this blog. Here you'll find updates and thoughts on our adventures, big and small. I'll post some pictures and maybe even have a guest blogger or two. And yes, I will undoubtedly share with you my tales of driving on the left side of the road. Enjoy.
Will you accept modern editions of "humiliation at home"?
ReplyDeletesounds like you are settling in, let me know when you want to venture up my way.
ReplyDelete