
We went to Wales last weekend. When I told my friend Tina that we were planning to go, she replied that Wales sounded glamorous. Which got me to thinking. Why does Wales sound glamorous? We could reach it in a couple of hours. From our old home in Arlington, Virginia, a couple of hours would take us to West Virginia. West Virginia's motto is "Wild and Wonderful," words which could certainly be used to describe Wales. So, as we traveled the M4 and explored Wales, I pondered. Why does Wales sound more exotic and fabulous than West Virginia? Here's a brief comparison.
What do Wales and West Virginia have in common?
- Mountains
- Struggling coal industry
- Lots of outdoor activities: camping, hiking, spelunking, biking, birdwatching, fishing and more
- People speaking in regionally accented English
- Tattooed men in tank tops drinking Corona (OK, I'm going out on a limb here. While I haven't personally observed such men in West Virginia, I'd guess the odds of finding Corona drinkers in West Virginia are at least what they are in Wales, and I did see this at a pub in Wales. And I'm not passing judgement on the fashion choices of West Virginians, understand. I'm sure residents of many of the United States wear tank tops and have tattoos on their arms.)
What does Wales have that West Virginia doesn't?
- Its own language, prominently displayed on street signs and roadmarkings. (Just over 20% of the population speaks Welsh, and the percentage is reportedly climbing.)
- Ruins of Roman legion amphitheater, barracks and baths in Caerleon. The amphitheater seated about 6,000, and there were nearly that many legionnaires there.
- Beaches. Not necessarily what we would think of as summer beach weather, but beaches. This one's at Newgale, on the Pembrokeshire Coast. (The blue sky was temporary. The rest of the day was rainy and gray.)
- Lots of castles, in various states of ruin. This one's Laugharne Castle, in Laugharne, famous for being a town where Dylan Thomas lived, wrote and drank.

And we explored the nooks and crannies of Caerphilly Castle, one of the largest in Britain. It even has a moat! (This is the next day, which was quite sunny.)
- A famous cathedral in honor of its patron saint, St. David. (For those who might wonder if West Virginia has a patron saint, I checked and it does. Our Lady of Victory. And there probably is a church or cathedral for her in West Virginia. But this one's built on the site of St. David's 6th century monastery and was a pilgrimage site for hundreds of years.)

Wales is awesome. We were there when I was a teenager, and my parents let us kids give them the driving directions. We took them to around half a dozen castles. I remember Caerphilly. Cool place.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI took a train from Manchester once to really close to the border with Wales, but didn't quite make it there. Thanks for the great tour!
ReplyDeleteJustin said something and the comment was removed by the author. Hmmm.... That begs the question, which land has the greater level of Freedom of Husbandry Speech!
ReplyDeleteI was testing something with that comment, then removed it. So it wasn't Justin being censored.
ReplyDelete