Saturday, September 29, 2012

Victoria Sponge

Here's an update on one of my first posts from two years ago about the Ascot Horticultural Society's summer show.

Victoria Sponge isn't something you use to clean the kitchen.  Thank goodness.  Also known as a Victoria Sandwich, it's generally speaking a "pudding" (American English:  dessert), and specifically a cake (British English:  sponge).  It's a yellow cake traditionally made by weighing four eggs in their shells and adding the same weights of butter, sugar and flour.  That's how I made this one.

The sponge is baked as one layer, then split horizontally and filled with strawberry jam and whipped cream.  This one also has fresh sliced strawberries layered inside.

I should have used more jam, but it was still really yummy.  Cakes here tend to be dry, but this was moist and a very nice texture.

The recipe came from my new favorite cookbook, which I am enjoying baking and eating my way through.  It's Peyton and Byrne's British Baking.

For those of you who commented on the previous post, I still haven't had honey cake and there's no recipe for it in my new book.  The search continues.

Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment