Saturday, November 27, 2010

School

Today's guest blogger: Emily. Sunday, November 28, 2010

I made a lot of friends at school. My best friends are two kind girls called Seraphina and Ella, but Ella is moving, so Seraphina is my best friend. Ella is in my class, but Seraphina is in one of the other fifth grade classes.
The bus comes right to our house, so my daily goal is to beat the bus to our driveway, where the bus picks us up.
I have gym class on Monday and Wednesday, Monday and Thursday for John. On gym days, all of the fifth grade wear their gym uniform (navy or white top, and navy pants) to school, and we all bring our gym bags to school, and after gym, we change into our other clothes.
On Monday, I go to school, go to the gym, and talk or play mini volley-ball, without a net, with my friends. The boys usually play basketball. 5-10 minutes before school, the middle school kids leave. Then the fifth grade has the gym to themselves. After 5-10 minutes, we go back to our classroom, but sometimes we shoot baskets first. When we shoot two baskets, we get to go back to class. My teacher is called Miss Cary, or Miss Hart. The directions are usually on the board. We have language class, or sometimes math class. Then we have a snack outside, and after that, we have music, then math. After that we have lunch, and unfortunately, after lunch we can not walk if someone is talking. : ( So it takes us about 5-15 minutes to get to the playground. (not cool) After recess we have gym class, then inquiry. (Inquiry is a little bit like science and social studies mixed together. Some of our previous inquiry units were beliefs and space. To inquire is to look into something and try to find out more.) Our current unit in inquiry is about perspectives.
On Tuesday, I go to the gym, then I go to my classroom after playing in the gym, directions are on the board. We do math or language until it is time for snack/recess. After snack/recess, we come back and do some math. Or if we already did math, we do language. Then we have lunch, then we stand outside and wait for our friends to stop talking so we can go to recess. After that, we finally get to go recess, then French class, but some kids go to Spanish class or better-English class. (That is for kids who don't speak English as their first language.) Then I have dismissal. After school, I go to Spanish class.
On Wednesday, I have music after snack, and orchestra during recess, and gym after that. After gym, I have I.T. (information technology). I like IT a lot because I like computers. After school I have a trumpet lesson. My trumpet teacher is called Mr. Martyn.
On Thursday I have library and French class. I also have a fifth grade assembly in the lower school library with the lower school principal, Miss Cindy. That is when Miss Cindy talks to us about a upcoming event, maybe a British tradition (like Guy Fawkes night, or poppy week), or maybe a school thing (like the toy and food drives). After that, she shuffles three golden envelopes (one for each fifth grade class), and someone in the front row chooses an envelope, and she opens that envelope, takes out two certificates that the students' teacher wrote for two students, I once got a certificate for listening in class. Then everybody claps, starting and stopping when Miss Cindy starts and stops, then we get a point. A point makes us happy. And if we go outside and back to our class quietly, we get another point.
On Friday, we have IA, or integrated arts (drama) and art (YAAAYYY!!!) and French class. Then I have football focus club (or soccer, but it's too cold and it's over).
It's an international school, so there are kids from everywhere (even Russia), and I can stay for middle school because they have lower school (elementary school), and middle school and high school, which together make upper school.
School is great fun for me. I do wish kids won't talk so such (especially when they're not supposed to), but other than that school is very fun for me. We can sit we where ever want at the lunch table (unlike Claremont, my old school), and the lunch line is much quicker. I like ACS Egham (my school) a lot.
Please make a comment. : ) Thank you. : D

8 comments:

  1. I've been schooled! Thanks for all the great insight into your day, Emily! I'm glad you're having fun. - dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very insightful. Great post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I hope you had fun being my guest blogger and will do it again. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your school sounds great Emily. I especially like the Inquiry class - I think that would have been my favorite class.

    I had one question - how do you have to do your spelling in this school? As you know the folks in the UK spell lots of words differently than we do in the US. Are you allowed to spell the American way on your tests and papers? Or would your teachers take points off for that?

    Thanks for sharing with us. Lyn (from Mark's Google account)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing! I am going to have my fifth grader, Claire, read your post - she will really enjoy your description. I am so glad you like your new school.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, Thank you so much for sharing your school life with us--I will tell Noah and Ben all about it tomorrow! I am happy to learn that you are having such a wonderful and exciting time learning in the UK. You are a lucky girl to have this special experience! Buchanan Street is still the same, though quieter and less exciting without you and John around. We miss you lots! --Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily, I loved reading about your weekly routine, and I'm sure the rest of our family will want to read it too. You have been the subject of much speculation this fall, as Kate wants to know: Do you now speak with an English accent?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ememem, you said you DO wish people wouldn't talk so much...and i read it like you might be developing already a bit-o-brit accent !
    fun! thanks for the great reading. i knew you liked computers because i could tell by your imaginative email add-ins. LOVE YOU! me:c.em

    ReplyDelete