June 22, 2012
Dear Diary,
I realise I did not write in all of May. This is not my fault. We had exams and I had to study for them. But, this summer, I will write every Friday to make up for May.
![]() |
| Palace Cafe, Caernarfon, Wales. Highly recommended for homemade ice cream in delicious flavors. Cheap, too, and we don't find a lot here that we'd call cheap.--Editor |
I am reading Dead Man's Cove today. It is by Lauren St. John. So far, it is good. Here are some other good books:
- Fintan Fedora (very funny)
- One-Handed Catch (inspiring)
- The London Eye Mystery (puzzling)
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (fun, surprising, original)
- Walk Two Moons (many surprises)
I like reading books. So does the main character in Dead Man's Cove. Other than that, we haven't got too much in common. She's an orphan. I'm not. I think it's funny that she asks "why" so much.
I'm in Wales. I've been here since yesterday. Windy Wales is wonderful. I can say egg in Welsh. Ŵy.
Ŵ=oo as in zoo.
y=I as in wind.
I can say useless, a hundred thousand, worth two cents, no and hello in Dutch.
Useless=Waardeloos
100,000=honderduizend
My Dutch friends Lotte and Emma taught me. They are very nice, but Lotte is moving away. :( She's going to Barcelona.
Ŵ=oo as in zoo.
y=I as in wind.
I can say useless, a hundred thousand, worth two cents, no and hello in Dutch.
Useless=Waardeloos
100,000=honderduizend
My Dutch friends Lotte and Emma taught me. They are very nice, but Lotte is moving away. :( She's going to Barcelona.
Chapter 1-Soup
Nibbles the little brown rabbit was hopping and nibbling in the field. Suddenly he heard his mother's voice calling, "Nibbles!"
Oh, no! Nibbles suddenly remember he was supposed to be collecting carrots for delicious carrot and mushroom soup. He sniffed until he found a huge, ripe carrot. Using his paws, he dug it out. Placing it between his teeth, he went to find another one. Once he had ten, he went back to the bush that hid his home.
"What were you doing?" his mother scolded. "Millie already got 25 mushrooms."
"Sorry," he mumbled, and went to find his brother and playmate, Sammy.
"Man, you took a long time," he said.
"Give it a break, you only had to get water and spices."
"Rare spices. Let's play." They hopped outside and played tag. But soon their mother called them.
"Millie! Sammy! Nibbles! Time for dinner!"
"Good. I'm cold," said Millie, who'd been playing as well.
They went in to find mother rabbit stirring the soup in the bowl-like stone with her paws. She tipped the soup into more bowls.
It was deliciously creamy. Mother rabbit had used her long teeth to shred the carrots. Everyone complimented each other for finding the best ingredients.
After dinner, Millie, Sammy and Nibbled started a game of tag. Suddenly, Nibbles heard a rustling and a squeal. He froze. What could it be?
Find out next week!
COLOR KEY OF THE NEWS
- What's happening and such By Emily Louis
- Books section by Emily Louis
- More of what's happening by Emily Louis
- A short story
- A comic
- Coming up next week/Word of the Week
- Mini ads (Contact the editor to place your free ad!!!!!!)
Coming up next week (June 29, 2012)
Next Friday you'll find out what (or who) Nibbles heard as well as what it's like in 2012!
In the red section a little bit about our trip to Virginia, 11 days from today (Friday)! :D
In the orange section a little bit and a summary about Dead Man's Cove and Before Green Gables!
Word of the Week [Editor's note: definition and sample use in a sentence from Emily's New English/American Dictionary.]
insubordination - disobedience, reluctance to follow the rules. What infuriated the short-tempered teacher most was insubordination, specifically from the pupils.



No comments:
Post a Comment