Saturday, July 7, 2012

Emily's Summer Journal, Week 3

July 6, 2012
Dear Diary,
Today we went to Glen Echo and the Dentzel Carousel.  I rode it five times.  It was really fun because I could imagine that I was riding in the hills.  I rode four bunnies and a horse.  First Bunny:  Flippity.  Second Bunny:  Paticia.  Third Bunny:  Dancer.  Fourth Bunny:  Flame.  Horse:  Mary-Lou.
We had ice-cream to cool off (it was really hot) and played on the playground.  It was so fun.  But it was hot and tiring.  If it were not for that, I would not want to leave.  I had such a fun day.
We are spending most of our first week with K2L2.  [Uncle, Aunt and two cousins.]  It is fun reading to them.  I made pancakes, too, on our second morning here!  I woke up early and had plenty of time to because I was jet-lagged.  But I"m pretty sure I'm not jet lagged any more, because it's 9:20 in the UK and I'm not tired.
Tomorrow we're going to Camp Yaya to visit my grandparents' house.  I am very excited because ther house has many fun activities. 
I've been thinking a lot about global warming.  I remember VA being hot as in up to the 90's, but rarely above 100° F (38° C).  I wonder if it's so hot becuase of global warmin, or just because I'm used to very-rarely-above 85°F-England-weather.  When I was little I used to think that it would help just to plug in a fridge and keep it open all day, but that would just waste electricity.  Besices, there nowhere to plug in a fridge, or anything, for that matter, in Antarctica.  Oh, well.
John told us a joke yesterday.  It's this:
Q:  Why did the toilet paper roll down the hill?
A:  To get to the bottom.
I don't know what to write.  They call that writer's block.  I'm going to be a writer when I grow up.  But first I'm going to be an ice-cream scooper.  I wish my family owned an ice-cream shop.  Then I could help out on the weekends and in the summer.
A new story
In a miniature world where the flag is purple and houses are very pretty with well-tended gardens and cute little white picket fences and stepping stones leading up to the houses, there lives a young girl names Mary-Jane.  Mary-Jane was 10 years old and had a younger sister named Sarah.  Mary-Jane had long blond hair down to her bottom when it was in a braid.  It was longer when it was loose.  Sarah had blond hair, too, but she kept hers short.  They looked like this.
Sarah loved to sing.  She had a beautiful voice and sang often.  Though Mary-Jane occasionally found this annoying, she never said so, for she was a kind girl and never dreamed of hurting anyone's feelings.
Mary-Jane and Sarah lived with their two kind parents in a rather large red-brick house with a garden full of beautiful flowers, and stepping stones leading from the house to the gate of the white picket fence.  A purple flag hung out front.  They lived a happy life.  Their parents took Mary-Jane and Sarah out for ice-cream every Sunday.  They had quite a bit of money--until they were robbed.




Find out about the robbery next week!


Coming up next week
  • in the orange section a little bit about deforestation and how you can help
  • in the green section find out the details of the robbery in the story.

Word of the week

ecstatic, adjective--extremely happy--She was ecstatic because she got ice cream and a bunny on her birthday.

Mini ads

Naps.  Take one now!  Doctor and parent recommended, once a day.
3 BR, 1 1/2 bath house for rent.  Available 7/15.  1 block to Metro and grocery stores.  Call owner at 1-800-PAY-ME-$$.
Fido needs walking?  Call Fred @ 555-DOGG.
 To submit an mini-ad for next week, contact the editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment